This article details how Osano’s Consent Manager supports Global Privacy Control.
The Global Privacy Control (GPC) is an initiative aiming to create a global web browser setting that allows users to control their online privacy. For users, activating GPC in their browser allows them to communicate their personal tracking preferences to participating websites. Specifically, the control indicates whether the user has consented to the sale of their personal data.
GPC and the Osano Consent Manager
Osano’s Consent Manager (CMP) intercepts and respect GPC signals. When using Osano’s CMP, end-users can communicate their do not sell preferences, and Osano will pass these along as well as update that users Do Not Sell preferences via the IAB CCPA framework.
If an end-user sends the GPC signal (by using a browser or browser extension that supports GPC), and:
- If the user is in the U.S.:
- Osano’s Consent Manager listens to the GPC signal that is communicated by the user's browser.
- The Consent Record will record an "Opt_Out." (An Opt-Out coincides with the Do Not Sell switch and no other categories).
- The Do-Not-Sell toggle in the Storage Preferences drawer is disabled, and the Do Not Track is sent via the U.S. IAB framework.
- If the user is NOT in the U.S.:
- Unless the customer is listening for the OPT_OUT via the Osano API and Event Listeners, no other changes occur.
IMPORTANT: GPC does NOT have an impact on consent categories OTHER than the Do Not Sell (Opt-out).
Enabling GPC Support
Global Privacy Controls can be set for a consent manager configuration by enabling the "Support Global Privacy Control (GPC)" switch in the configuration settings.
Verifying the GPC Signal is being passed
In order to verify if the GPC signal is being passed, you will need to access a site running Osano using a supported browser or extension (See GPC site for supported browsers/extensions).
Open your developer tools and navigate to "console".
Enter the following:
If GPC is being passed you will see 'true' or 'false' based on your preference.
If the browser does not support GPC or GPC is not enabled in your Osano settings, this will read 'undefined'.